Wednesday, June 9, 2010

NES #1: Urban Champion



Okay so it's been about five minutes and I'm going to talk about Urban Champion. It's a somewhat tricky area because it is a looper. Many of the older NES games would loop after a certain number of levels much like Donkey Kong or any other old arcade game. Conventional wisdom usually states that once a game has looped it is considered beaten unless multiple finishes gives you a different ending or outcome.

So if you go by that then what we have with Urban Champion is a game that takes about two minutes to finish. Basically all you're doing is punching a guy from left to right past a few buildings. Once you've punched him into the open manhole then you win. The game keeps going after this, but nothing much really changes. The opponent is always the same green haired guy who never really seems to get any more difficult. I did notice a few more flower pots being dropped on our heads but that's really about it.

I do think it is interesting that our two fighters are punching each other out in an upscale neighborhood filled with endless book stores and snack bars. What could've made them so angry inside Barnes & Noble that they had to take their fight outside? And is there really such a thing as a high rise Snack Bar building with women gardening in the upper floors? I'm sure that they thought we would appreciate the extra detail they put in by naming the buildings. In a way I do, but would it have been too much to have a pool hall or tavern in the background?

So in closing Urban Champion will keep you busy for about five minutes. If nothing else it is useful for crossing off your completed games list. I remember renting this game several times when I was a kid. I know I was just a kid but it still surprises me that we kept going back for more. I guess the thought of getting to punch a guy in the face practically endlessly is just too good to pass up for a five year old.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah it's not very good, although it might have been better in 1985. Some games don't stand the test of time very well.

    ReplyDelete