Thursday, December 29, 2011

NES #36 - Bucky O'Hare



I felt like getting back to my roots and writing about NES this time around, so I picked the type of game that NES did best. This is a game about an anthropomorphic rabbit in space and his other space animal buddies. Now I know that this sounds like a Star Fox clone, and you're probably congratulating yourself for solving that puzzle, but in truth Bucky O'Hare is a much older franchise. It started as a comic book in the late 70s and in the early 90s was turned into a Saturday morning cartoon.

Does anyone remember watching the cartoon? I know that I looked forward to it every week, but it came on at something like 7 in the morning. Even at that age I had a little trouble getting up so early. It didn't come on quite as early as Widget or reruns of The Tomfoolery Show, but it wasn't in one of the prime slots like Garfield and Friends or Bugs Bunny and Tweety. Am I getting off track?

So let's run through the checklist to see how good of a game Buck O'Hare is going to be. It is a side scrolling platform game so we can check that box. It's based on a cartoon, that's another one. It was made by Konami so that's a plus. It has a level and character select feature with a world map. You know I love those. Hey, that's all the check marks. This game's going to be great!

Okay so maybe it isn't great, but it's still a hidden gem. It has challenging and well designed levels, but I guess the problems is that some of the levels were designed for other games. Yeah, this game is kind of a thief. Playing through it, I noticed some familiar layouts and enemies. It had a section that looked like the first level of Contra, those moving blocks from the Mega Man series, and elements from the Mario games. Of course all the games it stole from were classics, and they are blended in nicely with some more original ideas. I guess this is sort of like the Oasis of gaming. Sure it stole, but at least it stole from the best.

I suppose the most important feature in this game is the ability to change between characters. In each of the first four levels Bucky is able to save one of his companions who each have their own unique skill. Bucky can do a charge jump, Blinky can blast through blocks, Dead-Eye can climb walls and so on. There will be parts where you will have to use a certain character, and this makes for some more interesting gaming. It also has one of my favorite features of old gaming. To switch between characters you only have to push a button and they appear where your previous character was just standing. There is no explanation for why one character turns into another. Is the ship beaming people up? Maybe that human kid invented a machine that can teleport people? It seems like the group would be able to get through those planets easier if they used teamwork instead of fighting individually. Anyway, the part I love is that it doesn't really matter. The only explanation you needed back then was that it's how the game works. If this game came out now I'm sure there would be some convoluted explanation that only confused things. I'm happier with the old system.

Another thing I enjoy about this game is how it keeps the action moving. When you get a game over you start back in the section that you died in. There's no starting over from the beginning of the levels in this one. This is good for a couple of reasons. First of all it allows the levels to be more difficult. Some points seemed impossible upon my first inspection, and only became possible after I failed a few dozen times. The other thing is that it keeps the player from giving up. If I had to start over at the beginning of those difficult levels every time I got killed by a boss than there's no way I would beat the game or even want to. And I died many times at the bosses. They are thoughtful and challenging. This game is perfectly designed for what it is, and you can't always say that about franchise games.

The NES had a difficult track record with licensed games. Almost every game based on a movie sucked. Almost every game based on a game show or board game was too simple. The few that are based on live action tv shows did not fare well. The one area where they found success was cartoon adaptations. Maybe it's because they fit the look of the NES so well, or because with a cartoon series you could take more dramatic license, but whatever the reason the batting average for cartoon games is very high. Now Bucky O'Hare isn't as good as Duck tales or as fondly remembered as Rescue Rangers, but it certainly belongs in the same discussion even if it as game you've never heard of based on a cartoon that you never knew existed.

No comments:

Post a Comment