Saturday, August 27, 2011

Sega Genesis #5: Quackshot Starring Donald Duck


Well I said that this time I was going to play something a little more derivative, and I've done just that with Quackshot. It's a classic side scroller just like 1000 other games. I'm back working again now, so I don't have as much time for blogging. I'll probably just phone this one in and get my 20 views already. I don't see the harm in that.

Quackshot is a pretty good licensed Genesis game. I don't know why the 16 bit era was so good for popular character based games, but there sure were many good ones. Quackshot reminds me a little bit of the original Duck Tales, but not enough to relive those past glories. What we have here instead is a classic map exploration platform game. All the levels appear on the map, and you have to go between them solving various puzzles until you can get to the end of them. It's sort of like Strider for the NES but actually a little bit better. It doesn't have the awkward story line or difficult wall jump to worry about. I don't care if that one is an anime styled sci-fi adventure and this one is a Donald Duck starring Indiana Jones rip off. A good game is a good game.

I also enjoyed how Donald only uses non-lethal plungers to attack, but it does actually require some precision shooting. I had to pull off a surprisingly large number of jump shots aimed at just the right spot to subdue my opponent. When you shoot them, the enemies are only stunned for a few seconds and them come back to life, so they will have to be shot multiple times if you want to get past them. I actually thought this was fun even though it sounds miserable. Actually everything works fairly well in this game. Nothing to get too excited about, but it certainly gets the job done. I suppose it could've used a password feature, but there is some charm in an old fashioned game that takes two hours to beat. It's certainly one for the weekend though. You'd hate to get started and not have enough time to finish.

Well that's my article on that game. Did you enjoy it?

1 comment: