Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Sega CD #1: Sonic CD



At long last Sonic CD! I've been wanting to play this game for almost twenty years now. I don't think I'm alone in that either. I think this is the game that the most people wanted to play who never got to. The Sega CD was a modest success, but it never really got to smaller places like Arkansas. We all had to read about it in magazines where it was almost always called the best Sonic game ever made. I thought everyone would finally get the chance when all those Sonic collections started getting released, but it was left off most of them. By the time they finally got around releasing it everybody already had one of the earlier collections. I will always remember 2011 as the year I finally got to play this mythical game.

All these years I was expecting a nicer looking version of Sonic 2, but this game is unlike any other ones in the series. At first it seems like any other Sonic game. The fist level is certainly familiar looking. Then you start to notice some strange things. There are some very strange design elements such as rings that are stuck in the middle of walls and areas that just don't look like they can be reached. Of course you will ask yourself the most obvious question. "Does this have anything to do with those whispering signs." That's a silly question. Of course it does.

Sonic CD allows you to travel through time. In fact, you are trying to go back in time to destroy Dr. Robotnik's evil plans before the world is destroyed. This means hunting down an evil machine somewhere in the level and destroying it in the past. What this all means is that this particular game is focused on exploration instead of speed. That seems like a small thing, but in a game like Sonic it makes a huge difference. Some of the levels are quite small and can be finished in only a couple of minutes if they are ran through in the traditional fashion. However, if you take your time and explore this game it becomes a much richer experience.

I was a little bit skeptical about this game at first, but the more I played it the more I enjoyed it. It's similar to Castlevania IV in that it has many graphical tricks and game elements that are revealed slowly throughout the game. The more you get into it the more you will see. I always wanted to go on to the next level just so I could see the sights. It also has interesting boss fights. It's not the usual dodge Robotnik and then hit him eight times routine. Some of those bosses I sill don't understand, but I defeated them all so that's what really counts.

My one main complaint about this game is the very easy difficulty level. Now I know that I'm 27 years old and have been playing games like these for about 23 of those years, but I think I could've gotten through this game when I was in kindergarten. The slower pace makes it easier to walk around safely, and none of the regular enemies are that much trouble. The game autosaves, so even if you get a game over you can start back at the world you were just in. It doesn't even make you start over like all those other Sonic games. I will say, though, that I prefer this to the invisible spike after every just system of Sonic 3, but it does diminish the experience somewhat. Now I will admit that I didn't destroy all the evil machines or beat all the bonus stages, but I only see these as making the game longer. It doesn't add to the challenge that much.

So I guess it's time for the verdict. After all the hype this could've been a complete letdown, but I really enjoyed this one. It almost felt like capturing a lost piece of my childhood. It is much different than the other games, but it still fits in with the rest of the series. I think the graphics are really nice, and it is interesting that instead of animals the robots turn into plants. Just be warned, if you do play it than you are going to get that cheesy song stuck in your head. It's even got the lyrics printed inside so you can sing along during the credits. But hey, just be thankful that this isn't Sonic Adventure. At least this one doesn't rap.

No comments:

Post a Comment