Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A couple more Mario 2 items

I forgot that I uploaded a couple more pictures for my Mario 2 article. The first one's real good too.

Does anyone remember Wacky Packages? Well back in 1991 there was a very brief revival and this was one of the cards. I've had this one for years, but I'm not quite sure where it is at the moment. This one's funny for a few reasons, but most of them are unintentional. I think my favorite part about it is that the artist has no idea what a video game is. He clearly drew a vhs tape coming out of the box. He must've heard the word "video" and assumed that's what it was. I remember that when I was a kid I thought that was really dumb. Who hadn't seen a video game before? I also think it's kind of funny that this is a parody of Mario 2 even though by then Mario 3 and possibly even Super Mario World had been released. Wacky Packages parodies are usually spot on, but this one's a little off. I actually did some research, but I'm not entirely sure who did the art for this one. I know it's not John Pound or Tom Bunk. Pat Piggot maybe? Oh well, nobody cares but me.



I think this picture is interesting because it was used for the cover of the very first issue of Nintendo Power. There were so many great pictures of Mario floating around at the time that I have no idea why they went with the goofy clay portrait. Perhaps they wanted it to stand out on the shelves, or maybe they thought it was more realistic. I sure hope it's not the second one. Also Mario is holding a carrot which I think is a little odd. He mostly holds turnips in the actual game. I guess carrots were easier to shape out of clay.

Nintendo Power 1 is also the only issue that I have. I never got into Nintendo Power that much because I didn't like how biased the reviews tended to be. That's what I thought back then anyway. I would usually just look at the issues my friends had and buy EGM or an occasional Gamepro. Now I wish I had them all. They are very entertaining from a historical standpoint, and I love all those old pictures of levels that were laid out like maps. My issue 1 is sadly missing its cover so I never get to see funny clay Mario. I guess that's what the internet is for.

3 comments:

  1. hahaha. I wouldnt have noticed the VHS thing if you didnt point it out

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think all of the very early issues of Nintendo Power used clay art for the covers. I'm not sure, but I know I used to have that issue and one of Mega Man 2 done in clay. I'll never forget the yard sale my mom went to that just had boxes of Nintendo Powers from the eighties. This was probably around 94, 95 or so.. and I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally found a website that had all the old covers on it. A couple of the early ones were clay, and some of them had actual photographs with actors dressed up like the characters. They were goofy, but I guess the editors thought they were more interesting than screen shots.

    ReplyDelete