Monday, August 23, 2010

NES #19: Tiny Toon Adventures 2: Trouble in Wackyland


I'm not wasting any time. This game is bad! I've only had it for a week or so, and it's already one of my least favorite games. Everybody knows that Gogo Dodo was the best character on Tiny Toon Adventures. He was the wild and absurd one. We had to sit through cartoon after cartoon of Buster acting smug and self righteous just for a few seconds of Gogo, and it was well worth it. So much time was wasted at that school when we could see the entrance of Wackyland on the map. I knew something awesome was happening in there, but Stephen Spielberg and the gang didn't want the world to see it. Finally in 1993 Konami of all people released this game for the NES. We were finally gonna get a glimpse inside. There was only one problem. THIS GAME HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WACKYLAND!!!!!

This game is nothing more than a cheap ripoff of Adventures in the Magic Kingdom. Yeah that's right, it's an amusement park game. We've got a roller coaster, bumper cars, a log ride, a train ride, and finally a fun house. WHY DID THE DEVELOPERS THINK THAT WACKYLAND WAS AN AMUSEMENT PARK?? Is it because it had the word land in it? Wackyland was its own self contained world with all kind of strange creatures in it. Porky flew there in the classic Bob Clampett cartoon, and I don't think there were any bumper cars in it. The amusement park in Tiny Toons was Happy World Land, not Wackyland. What's worse is that Gogo's no a playable character. Actually he's not even really in it. You only see him walk by during the credits. He doesn't even have a supporting role like he does in better games like Buster's Hidden Treasure. What the hell happened here!?

I could probably give this game more of a pass if it was fun, but it is far from it. The object is to get into the fun house and beat Montana Max. You get there by getting 4 golden tickets or 50 regular tickets. Each other attraction costs a certain amount of tickets, but when you can trade in your points for regular tickets at the ticket booth. Here's where the game gets really bad. The bumper cars and train levels are pretty easy and only take 1 or 2 tickets. The roller coaster and log ride are much more difficult and take 3 or 4 tickets. When all you need are 50 tickets there's no point to playing through the harder levels. Honestly the train stage was about the only one I could stomach, so I just played it over and over. I think I played through the level seven times before I saved up enough tickets. Then I went to the final stage.

Yeah that's right, you can get through this game by only playing two levels, one of the regular levels and the fun house. I bed you'd love to spend 50 dollars to buy a game where you only have to play 2 levels. At least the fun house plays more like a regular game. Of course keeping with the theme there's nothing funny inside of it, and you play as Buster. All you get is a confusing maze with some doors on the ceiling and some upside down walking. Then you get to Montana Max and easily beat him. Then you turn off the game and never play it again, but I doubt you'll be able to forget about it so easily.

Well that's about all I want to talk about this one. I know that I only got it a week ago and it's made for little kids, but I'm sure I would've been just as furious then as I am now. Kids aren't dumb, especially when it comes to their favorite shows. Everyone who was a fan of the show would know that it wasn't Wackyland. I doubt there's a kid alive who would fool themselves into thinking that this was anything but a lazy money grab. I guess I can't really blame Gogo for not showing up. I wouldn't want my face in this game either. I'm just thankful that I've got 20 or so better Konami games to play through on my NES. This game isn't exactly Contra.

No comments:

Post a Comment